Sunday, March 27, 2011

Two Days Down

I simultaneously loath and love the weekends. As much as I like to spend time with my family, we tend to get in each other's way quite often.

This weekend, however, was unlike most others. Saturday was rather brilliant. What began as a cloud covered, sleepy day became a quick paced shopping spree through a neighboring town. While nearly equally as old, the town I live in has very few "quaint" locations as its near-by counterparts. A twenty minute drive took my mom, my girls, and myself to a road lined with locally owned stores - most of which boast antiques or second hand shops aka HEAVEN!!!

The girls were wonderfully, amazingly, astoundingly well behaved. For their efforts they were rewarded throughout the day with small favors - a fifty cent trinket from a vending machine, a tiny plastic ring from a generous shop owner, and a shared milk shake from a local hangout. They were in heaven, I wasn't stressed out, and the understated use of bribes didn't disturb me in the least. As far as I'm concerned, it's give and take - a tried and true fashion of existence. :)

We headed home late in the day after walking wide sidewalks, one store to the next, whilst a nippy wind bit at our fingers and toes. Dear Spring, where hath thou gone? Do hurry back, I miss thee already.

Dinner was simple and straight from the cabinets. A quick ham and mushroom alfredo filled everyone's bellies and warmed us up from the inside out - always a good place to start when wanting to get warm!

The evening ended with only the girls and I at home - we snuggled up on the couch together with the puppy and watched How to Train Your Dragon before crashing into the land of sleep. It was a REALLY cute movie and a nice way to spend a Saturday night.

Today was nice enough to lend me a sore throat and laziness in my bones that left me feeling as gray as the world outside my windows. So I stayed pretty much in one place (gasp!) doing not much of anything... other than surfing the web!!

My to-do wish list now has almost 100 tasks to tackle and I'm thinking that my "cleaning" goals will have to give way to twice as many 'craft' or 'create' goals! Perhaps... yes, well, those ideas will surface all in good time.

Tomorrow awaits me with shopping lists, preschool for the kids, and a small army of "i hope to do's" concerning the yard and how it looks. We have this HUGE decorative section in the front yard that just isn't that decorated. I've gotten the green light from The Man to change that. So far I'm picturing a steel tub, seeds, flower pots, and spray paint. Here's hoping!

& just so I don't have another post with no pictures...
(though this picture is not my own...)


The splendor of the rose and the whitness of the lily do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its lovliness.
-Therese of Lisieux

4 comments:

  1. What a fun day! I can't wait until it gets warm enough to go to Jim Thorpe, which is one of those quaint little towns near my sister's house. But 25 degrees is just not conducive to being outside. *shivers at the thought*

    I hope your throat feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww that is a nice day! I love when my kids behave when doing something like that. It just makes it all better. Hope your throat feels better =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day! I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so I appreciate you remembering that I was there Saturday.. we even watched another movie together..gosh.

    ..but I do hope you feel better, even though you forget I exist when I'm only there for 2 days!

    ReplyDelete